sits upon a hill near Sandown and from the churchyard there are some lovely
views across the valley to the downs. The little red steeple of the church can
be seen at one end of the street, and here can be found a sundial that has
displayed the hours of time since the 17th century.
though is a lot older than the sundial a it goes back to the Norman Conquest
though the oldest parts we can find are in the three tiny Norman windows and the
nave arcades, these are a crudely built arch at the east end of the south
The church is
quite large inside and long ago it was the only church of a parish which
stretched from Ryde down to Ventnor.
The tower is
clothed in weather board and this is also over the south porch where the ancient
door still opens on its original hinges.
The pulpit is
17th century and is roofed with a large canopy that is supported from chains and
has an angel that is holding a Bible.
is gilded, and was installed in the 19th century after standing for 150 years at
Frome in Somerset, and it is carved with an eagle and eaglets.
stairs are 15th century and an 18th century barrel organ can be found. The
altar vases are of Roman pottery and these may be the first Roman articles found
on a Christian altar.
It was here
that Richard Forward live his long and useful life from 1750 - 1826 and he now
lies by the pathway at the west of the churchyard. Richard was a parish clerk
here for 54 years and also a schoolmaster for 53 and the stone on his grave was
bought by penny subscriptions that were collected among his old school pupils,
and has the following inscription upon it:
In yonder sacred pile his voice was wont to
And now his body rests beneath the hallowed ground.
He taught the peasant boy to read and use the pen;
His earthly toils are 0'er; he's cr'd his last Amen.
Just over a
mile away at Knighton there are the ruins of a 13th century chapel.
Text courtesy of:
Southern Life (UK)